Bragging or ?
Do you feel like creating an impactful bio can be difficult sometimes? Or do you have a client that is struggling? There seem to be a right mixture and balance between bragging, self-promotion and simply stating who you are and what you can do.
I call it self-surgery.
It’s easier to remark on other people’s bio – either they have got it simple and succinct or they are too long and meandering and sound like a justification. This applies both online as well as in real life.
Why does it matter?
Well, it does. It’s the verbal first impression (or if we’re looking at the online version of the bio), the written first impression. If you have past the shallow test e.g. looks, then how you introduce yourself will determine if they feel like you are relevant to them.
Give us an example!
So for example. Sarah is an “Online Coach & Fitness & Nutrition Expert for busy CEOs and professionals”.
- Does this sound like what someone would say at a dinner party?
- Does this look like a bio for instagram or any other social media platform?
For scenario 1, I think most people would say “fitness and nutrition coach”.
For scenario 2, it’s a good example of WHAT Sarah does and WHO she is helping and even HOW and WHERE. So how do you currently introduce yourself, in person and on social media?
Some Do’s and Don’ts
If you are reviewing your bio, or you want to create a new one, some simple principles to consider:
- Keep it simple and memorable
- Make it clear WHAT you do
- Your intro is a trailer to the film, so you don’t have to make it specific to how you are doing it until after they have asked for more info.
- People have a short attention span and will always consider: how is this relevant to me?
- There’s no need to say what you have or haven’t done in the past to justify your “claim”.
- Not believing what you say yourself.
So why is it so difficult to create a short and simple bio? What can you do to make it easier?
Access “20 examples of online bios” and more tips on creating an impactful bio!
If you enter your details below, we will send more tips and shortcuts to how to make it easier, as well as provide further examples of bios that you can review and amend for yourself.
It’s currently for free, so take advantage of it now!